It is said that unsafe water kills more people every year than war or any other form of violence does. Now, you probably are thinking this is true for developing countries, where water-borne diseases like typhoid and dysentery are common occurrences. Isn’t the drinking water in the US among the cleanest there is in the world? To a great extent, municipal and city water flowing in most stateside homes is adequately disinfected with Chlorine and Chloramines.
Unfortunately, such drinking water is, at times, over-chlorinated. As per EPA data, most Americans drink water that has 300 to 600 times more Chlorine than is necessary. Therefore, it does not only contribute to poorly tasting and horrible smelling water, but it has other insidious health effects as well. When the chemical chlorine is mixed with organic compounds found in water, trihalomethanes are produced. THMs are free radical producing compounds, which are carcinogenic.
They also cause other ailments namely heart disease, immune system instabilities, and reproductive problems. There is, however, more to fear from that refreshing glass of drinking water than Chlorine and its dangerous byproducts. Harmful elements, chemicals, herbicides, pesticides, and drugs have been found in many drinking water reservoirs. Actually, Copper, arsenic, and lead have tested positive in tap water found in every single state. For these reasons, we have scoured the internet to bring you ten of the best direct connect under sink filters to ensure that your household only drinks affordable, safe, and great tasting drinking water.
|15 GPM||4||CuZn UC-200 Under Counter Water Filter|
|7 GPM||5||AQUACREST 3US-AF01 Under Sink Water Filter|
|15 GPM||4||Woder 10K-Gen3 Water Filtration System|
|24 GPM||3||Frizzlife MK99 under sink water filter|
|15 GPM||5||WaterDrop 8541998166 Water Filter|
|15 GPM||3||Filtrete 3US-PS01 Under Sink Water Filtration System|
|10 GPM||4||Brondell H2O+ Coral UC300|
|12 GPM||3||APEC Water Systems CS-2500|
|7 GPM||3||Nahla Pure Ultra High Capacity|
|12 GPM||2||3M Aqua-Pure Under Sink Water Filter System 3MFF100|
- Long-life filter
- NSF 42 certified filtration media
- Great customer support
- Combines both carbon block and granulated activated carbon filtration
- Affordable replacement filter
- Easy installation
- Long-life filter
- American National Standards Institute lab standards certified filters
- Easy installation
- Robust lead removal filters
- The cartridge has auto shut off feature for easy replacement
- Maintains faucet water flow pressure
- Ion exchange coupled with activated carbon water filtration mechanism
- Affordable replacement filters
- Easy to install
- 1: 1 Drain Ratio mean less water waste
- Fast flow 400 GPD
- Attractive Tankless Desing
- Has NSF/ANSI standards 53, 42, and 372 certifications
- Hardy product
- LED filter change indicator
- Easy installation procedure
- Does not need an extra faucet installed
- Robust carbon filter that eliminates lead from water
- Easy to install
- Long-life filter cartridges
- Very efficient water filtration
- NSF certifications
- Sanitary Quick-Change system of filter replacement
- Long-life large carbon block filter
How To Choose Best Direct Connect Under-sink Filter – Buying Guide
Did you know that thousands of US citizens suffer from Legionnaires’ disease every year, due to drinking contaminated water from piped sources and cooling towers? Lead contamination from aged water infrastructure in your home could cause lethal lead poison, as was the case at Flint Michigan. Lead, however, is not the only cause for worry when it comes to drinking and cooking water.
Municipal water is often over-chlorinated, giving it a horrible taste and odor. The additions of chemicals could also lead to the growth of carcinogenic Trihalomethanes. Fortunately, you can protect your family and provide them with healthy and affordable drinking water by purchasing a direct connect under the sink filter.
What is a direct connect under the sink water filter?
There was a time when the reverse osmosis system of water filtration was the only known way to filter water in homes adequately. Strides taken in the direct connect under the sink filter field have changed all that. Today, a direct connect under the sink filter can adequately filter most water pollutants from your drinking water. The beauty of such technology is that unlike reverse osmosis, it not only efficient and affordable, but it is not water wasting as well.
A direct connect under sink filter is a point of use filter system, affixed to your cold-water faucet pipe for filtration purposes. As its name suggests, it is placed under the sink, and it filters water on demand. The product passes water through its filtration mechanism and produces it when filtered. It is connected to a faucet, which will give your household clean drinking and cooking water.
How a direct connect under sink water filter works
A direct connect under sink water filter has a carbon-based filter, which optimally filters out a large percentage of chemical pollutants from city or municipal tap water. There instances where other elements are added to carbon filtration cartridges to enable the filtration of dangerous lead, cysts, fluoride, heavy metals, bacteria, or nitrates from water.
UV light systems could be incorporated to sterilize the water. These filtration systems only filter water on demand, so they do not have a storage tank. They also do not waste water, so every drop of water that they take in comes out as purified water.
Direct under sink water filters are connected from your sink cold water pipe through a flexible plastic or metallic pipe. The water goes through one or more filtration cartridges in the system, then flows out either through your cold-water faucet or via a different tap connected to the under sink water filter.
Features you should look for in an under-sink filter
In the search for a good direct, connect under the sink water system, there a few vital factors you should keep in mind to ensure that you purchase the absolute best system for your family. These factors include;
Ease of installation and design
There are different designs of under sink water filtration systems. The first one is not as easy to install. The system often referred to as a conventional under sink filter, sends its filtered water to a faucet mounted on the sink, specifically for the filtration system. For that reason, you will require to either purchase an entirely new sink that will allow two cold water faucet holes. You can alternatively drill a new hole on your sink, a procedure that could be impossible to do in a rented apartment.
The conventional under sink water filter has an advantage that its filtered water will only be used for drinking or cooking. Hence, the filter will last longer because filtered water will not be wasted while cleaning. The second under sink water filter design is referred to as ‘simple’ because it is effortless to install.
All that you need to do is to connect it your cold-water pipe via a diverter valve. The filtered water then comes out through your regular cold-water faucet. You will not need to purchase a new faucet or drill new holes on your countertop. Its primary disadvantage is that since it filters every drop of water coming to your kitchen, its filters will need replacements more often.
Installing an under sink water filter on your faucet is all you need to do to ensure that every glass water your family takes is safe, right? Wrong! If you purchase a water filtration system that only lets out water in trickles, the kids, especially the very young, maybe too impatient to wait. They will probably turn to regular tap water in the absence of bottled water.
This is why excellent water pressure delivery is such a critical feature when purchasing an on-demand water filter. A simple direct connect under the sink water filter has a higher chance of maintaining optimal water pressure than the conventional type. Conventional under sink water filter systems are more efficient at water filtration. You need to ensure that you purchase a product that has a good balance of water pressure flow and optimum water filtration.
In the market, you will find direct connect under sink water filters with different types of filtration technologies and numbers of filter cartridges. There are, for instance, under sink water filters that are purely carbon-based. There are systems also that combine carbon filters and ion exchange mechanisms for water hardness removal. A system might have one filtration cartridge, while the other might have multiple connected cartridges for enhanced filtration.
The technology used in your under-sink filter of choice determines just how many types of water pollutants it can eliminate from your water. You should purchase a home water testing kit to test your water first before buying an under sink water filter. This will ensure that you only buy a product that will filter out all the pollutants in your water.
Types of water filtration mechanisms
- Sediment or pleated filters are designed to trap solid water pollutants such as sand, dirt, and sediment. They are made from a sheet of media, tightly wrapped around a core to create a natural barrier against solid particles. Polyester based sediment filters last longer than those that are paper-based.Nonetheless, sediment filters are very affordable.
- Melt brown filters are made from spun polypropylene. These are also known as gradient density filters because they have varying ranges of micron ratings. Their outer layers have more significant micron ratings, while their core has micron ratings as small as 1. They are very compact and are used to filter out large and minute particles from water, including cysts.
- Carbon filters use activated carbon granules or blocks for water filtration. Larger high-quality carbon filters like the Big Blue filters are esteemed in the water filtration systems arena because they offer more water filtration surface area. Some have resins in them that increase their water filtration capacity. Every direct under sink water filter should have a carbon filter cartridge. Activated carbon filters will eliminate bad tastes and odors from water and chemicals such as Chlorine and chloramines. There are special filters that also eliminate water pollutants that years ago, could only be eliminated via reverse osmosis systems
- Activated carbon/ KDF filters that filter heavy metals namely lead and hydrogen sulfide
- Filters infused with activated alumina that reduce fluoride, arsenic. Lead and sulfur from the water.
- Ion exchange units that eliminate nitrates, hardness, and mineral elements from water
- Ceramic filters that kill bacteria
- Water PH enhancers such as calcite cartridges
The CuZn UC-200 under sink water filter has a five-year, long-life filter. It will filter 50,000 gallons of water before its filters are for a change. The AQUACREST 3US-AF01 model, on the other hand, has 2,000 gallons per filter capacity, meaning that you will need to replace its filters more often. If you do not like to tinker once you have a product installed, purchase under sink water filtration systems that require little maintenance. An under sink water filter should also not just be easy to install but should have a simplified filter cartridge replacement process. Challenging to replace filter cartridges can damage the whole system during replacement. They could also cost you money if you have to approach a plumber for assistance.
Pros of direct under sink water filters
- They improve not just the safety but the quality and taste of your water. You and your household will, therefore, drink more water, which is good for your health.
- Unlike reverse osmosis water filters, carbon-based under sink water filtration systems do not waste any water. They will filter water on demand, and fill up those travel water bottles fast. If you want to go green, an under sink water filter is one of the many steps you can take towards a better planet.
- Since they are installed under your kitchen sink, they are very space-saving and discreet. These systems are perfect for small kitchen spaces.
- Direct connect under sink water filters are designed for easy installation. You do not need to be a DIY enthusiast to install a water filter correctly. You can learn the skill fast from an online DIY video or follow the manufacturer’s installation procedure on the manual.
- Some water filtration systems can be costly to purchase and maintain. The under sink water filter is affordable on purchase, and its filter replacements are accessible and low cost too.
Cons of direct under sink water filters
- They are a point of use water filtration systems, meaning that they only provide clean filtered water from one single source. If you want safe, filtered water from other faucets in your home, you might need to either purchase more under sink water filters or a whole house water filtration system.
- Some designs require their faucet for filtered water delivery. For that reason, you might have to either install a new sink or drill a hole in your kitchen counter to install their faucet.
How to install an under sink water filter
The direct under sink water filter installation process is very easy to handle. Turn off your faucet water supply from the valve provided under your sink. Remove the water connector tube, and then make the required plumbing connections, using a wrench if necessary. Screw-in your filter and test it first. You might have some installation difficulty if you are installing a conventional under sink water filter. If drilling holes onto a countertop is not your forte, you might need to call in a handyman for the installation. You might also need to drill a few holes into your under-sink cupboard walls with a small drill bit. The holes will be used to attach the filtration system onto your cupboard walls for stability.
How to replace cartridges
Turn off your faucet’s water supply, then drain out any remaining water from the pipes by leaving the faucet on. Open the under sink water filter casing as per manufacturer’s instructions. Detach the old filter and replace it with the new. Close the housing and turn on the water faucet water supply. Check for leaks and tighten the connections if necessary.
While the direct under sink water filtration systems on our list are reliable products, we love the CuZn UC-200 Under Counter Water Filter for its extended life water filter. Five years of water filtration without any further maintenance procedures is significant water filtration efficiency. The Brondell H2O+ Coral UC300 Three-Stage Undercounter Water Filtration System‘s NSF/ ANSI certifications are a stand out feature, too, and we highly recommend it.